Friday, April 20, 2007

Today I Choose to be Grateful

Those of you who keep up with the Dais girls blogs may have already read my sister Tammy’s blog today, it was a wonderful tribute to our mom. Today marks the 5th anniversary of her death. She died after a nearly 3 year battled with inflammatory breast cancer. And having read Tammy’s blog, it makes me realize we have all grieved and coped remarkably well the past five years. And make me know that our mom would be glad.

For the past few days, I’ve been dreading this 5 year anniversary, I’ve shed tears in anticipation of this day and felt that all too familiar ache in my heart with greater intensity. But amazedly, I woke today with a calm serenity. Today I awoke knowing I had a choice in how I would receive this momentous day.

Today I choose not be sorrowful and I chose to not let this day slip from me with sad thoughts of all we’ve missed with her. Today I choose to be grateful for all that I’ve had and all that I have in my life. Today I will get through this day with the same grace, courage and spirit that embodied my mom.

I am grateful for the gift of 29 years with her.
I am grateful for the gift of my two sisters – who travel this journey along side me.
I am grateful for my many friends - they have listened to countless stories of her
I am grateful for my Leif - he is my anchor.
I am grateful for my children – for I know she lives in them and I know she watches over them and blesses them.

Today I choose to be grateful.

5 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Beautiful post Jill. After reading Tammy's post and now yours, I have shed my tears for the day, week & month.
I know your mom is watching over you and your family and enjoying seeing her beautiful grandkids grow up. She laughs at their silly stunts, she sympathizes everytime they fight and she looks back with love when they do things that remind her of her 3 little girls and the way things used to be. You're right, she does live in them and she lives in you too and for that you should be proud.
I love you Jill. God bless you and your family today and everyday.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I am grateful for you, and I love you too, Jilly!

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Jill: I have known your family my entire life and your mom was like a second mom to me. She was always so happy and kind and always had time to sit and visit with me when I came to Eureka. I also miss your mom so much and think of her often. LouAnn and I have many talks about Karen when we get together. I remember shortly before her funeral I had found out I was pregnant with Seneca and just knew how happy Karen would be for me and missed getting a big hug from her like I knew she would have done!! She would love to watch our kids play when we get together just like we did when we were kids. But I do know that SHE IS watching them all grow up!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

What a great way to look at the day, Jill! I know that these anniversaries can be hard and sometimes it's just easier to sit and cry over the things that you don't have rather than to be grateful for the things that you do have. I never got to meet your mom, but I have enjoyed the stories that you have shared and know that she must have been a remarkable mother and woman. She will always live in you, your sisters and your children. Your mom would be very proud of your grace, courage and spirit -- not only today, but always! I am grateful for your friendship and am always here if you have one of those days when you do just want to cry or if you just want to share more stories!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill....what a beautiful sentiment...I cried reading it (and it's not just the PMS). I never got the pleasure of meeting your Mom, but if she was anything like you and your sisters, I am sure she was a wonderful woman with a great sense of humor and zest for life. Thanks for sharing.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home