Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh the modesty of a 3 year old

Last week at Christian’s preschool conferences, his teacher suggested that I have his speech evaluated. She had been noticing little mispronunciations in some of his words, and now that she mentioned it, I do to. He has a difficult time sounding out the harder ‘back of the throat’ sounding words. ‘G’s and ‘K’s come out sounding like D’s and even his own name sounds more like “Tristian” than “Christian.” (Funny, how it takes someone else to point out that kind of thing – I guess we just got so used to hearing it that way.) Anyway, back to my modest child.

So we went for a speech evaluation to see if he qualifies for therapy. I didn’t realize at the time that they were also going to be evaluating his language and cognitive development. So when the therapist told me about that portion of the evaluation, my initial reaction was ‘crap, I really should have done a crash course of learning with him this morning.’ :-) And after about 40 minutes of testing – flash card, fill in the word, sequence type of things, she calculated his score.

He does in fact qualify for speech therapy, but she told us that he scored well above average on the other portions of the test. Christian, in all humbleness, looks at me and shrugs his shoulders a bit and says ‘I’m a genius, mom.’

Here is one of my little genius's best answers: The therapist showed a picture of a doctor examining a dog. It was very clearly a veterinarian. The therapist said "She is a doctor. What kind of doctor is she?" (I'm guessing she was looking for 'an animal doctor' or better yet 'a veterinarian'). Christian looks a bit confused and questionly says "A very, good doctor?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

He is a smart little guy! Can't wait to see what he's doing in say 20 years!!! :) Maybe he'll be one of those very good doctors! Good luck with the speech therapy.

7:54 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

He is a genius! Love the comment about the Dr., I bet the lady doing the test got a chuckle out of that.
Good luck with the therapy, he'll do great.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home