Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday… I’m in Love #2

Fridayimin_cov Fridayimin_cov Fridayimin_cov Fridayimin_cov Fridayimin_cov 

I was watching a documentary on PBS the other day and it was about independently owned book stores.  And owning a quant little, kitschy bookstore would probably be my all time dream job – so I was curious about this movie.  The documentary was called Paperback Dreams and it followed two California independently owned bookstores – and showcased all the glory and struggles they each have encountered throughout their years.  Unfortunately, one of the bookstores – Cody’s Books - had to close its doors this summer, and the other Kepler’s is still open but struggling against this declining economy as well.  Watching this documentary made me realize I need to do my part in keeping some of these great little treasures alive and well.  People pour time, energy, money and passion into their dreams – and for me, the consumer, it doesn't necessarily mean that I have to pick up a huge extra cost in helping to support them.

books460 So (ah, finally) the thing I love this week and want to share with you all – especially my book lover friends (some of whom all ready know and love this gem of a place) is a great bookstore called Powell’s Books.  It is an independently owned book store in Portland, OR.  And it’s not small,  because the actual store is huge, like an entire city block huge, like I’ve died and gone to heaven huge.  But, they have a great online store with both new and used books.  All at great prices.  Seriously, great prices.  Competitive prices with any big name book store.

powellsbooks_logo

So shopping there makes me feel like I’m doing my part to support local, independently owned (not the huge franchise, corporation book store) and still being able to watch my own budget.  A perfect solution.

So, if your shopping for your next book club book…. I encourage you to go check it out:  http://www.powells.com

*************************************************************

Again I go with Etsy for my second love - probably because I could lose myself on this site for hours.  Just looking at all the things that people create.  The good as well as the hideously awful.  Perhaps it’s my way of fulfilling my own personal creative void.  Perhaps.

il_430xN_21346495For my birthday, my friend Susan gave me this great gift of a market bag that she purchased on this site.  It’s made by Molly – really, that’s her shop’s name Made By Molly.  She’s from Seattle and has these great bags.  And I swear if I were a working girl (you know what I mean) I’d be buying myself one of her cute lunch totes as well.

I’ve only had my market tote bag for a few weeks.  But I’ve used it for everything from groceries, Target purchases, library books and as a diaper bag.  Thanks again Susan – what a great find.

**************************************************************

Christian has never been my artsy guy.  Campbelle usually fills that role.  But lately he’s developed a passion for drawing.  Maybe it’s the new desk.  Actually, for sure it’s his new desk.  Whatever it is, I’m madly in love with this new found creative force in him.  And madly in love with his creations like this one of our family.

 image0-2

**************************************************************

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kjempefin tegning Christian! Håper du kan tegne en til oss også.

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home