Monday, June 08, 2009

PART 1: Master bedroom Project

After almost two years of living in our new place, we’ve finally painted the very last rooms – the Master bedroom and bath.  I’ve spent a great deal of time trying to decide what I wanted to do in this room… I like peaceful and calm, but I’m also not afraid of some pops of color.  So after several hours of scavenging design blogs (see, there is a purpose for all that time lost)  - I settled on an idea. 

Here’s the before photo:

IMG_0040

A few weeks ago we implemented part 1 of my master plan.  I’d like to think there are only two phases to my plan – but time will tell.  Here’s what we did:

1.  Paint (neutral beige color – hard to tell from this photo)

2.  Bed Linens

3.  Reupholstered headboard

IMG_1677

I’m pretty thrilled about it.  And I love the bird.  I freehanded it on the wall with pencil (after extensively practicing on paper first) and then filled in with paint.  It really worked brilliantly, and the pencil was easy to erase and draw again if it didn’t take shape exactly the way I wanted. 

The headboard is the old one, with a think foam piece attached and then wrapped in a green canvas cloth.  It too turned out pretty good.  Nothing that will last for years probably – but at a total cost of $35 – and the existing headboard totally intact underneath – a fun change.

Adjustable Arc Sconce, Antique Bronze finish

 

Part 2 – which I am not sure when I’ll be implementing that part – will bring new bedside lamps.  I love these – but am on a quest to find something similar at a lower price point – preferably much lower.

 

And I’d also like a long bench or something under the three windows (off to the right of the bed).  Probably something like this, but laying horizontally and filled with wicker baskets and books, etc…

I’m also pretty crazy about these candle sconces and for some reason, I believe this white rhino is begging me to put him on that bench in front of my windows someday.  This is a fun shop – both items are there.

We’ll see how my plan all unfolds.  I’ll keep you posted.

 

 

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dan Harveland said...

Jill,
Per the window bench and picture. If you are thinking of something you would paint, consider MDF. It's cheap and you usually can get the stores to pre-cut it for you. Then a little wood glue and some nails you are done. Prime, paint and display. That might be the cheaper option you are looking for.
Use 3/4" for top, bottom and sides. 1/2" for middle slots and you will have a very sturdy bench.
Dan

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home