Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Relay for Life

The Issaquah Relay for Life was this past weekend.  The weather was just fine (read, not raining, but not sunny... so us Pacific NWers call that just fine.)  There were about 70 teams and over $200,000 was raised for cancer research, education and advocacy.

My team the Red and Pink Hat Society was made up of 10 really amazing women.  We walked our shifts, shared stories and laughed and cried during the 20 hour event.

Here are a few highlights:

IMG_9240

Leif and the kids spent most of the day with us at the track.  It was fun for them and Christian loved to walk around the track.  (yes, that is me and my big pregnant belly... and yes, can you believe I still have 8 weeks left!?!)

IMG_9261

A fruit eating contest is always a big hit with the younger crowd.  (That's my friend and teammate Susan, running the show).  The object is to eat an orange, apple and banana the fastest... and you would not believe how fast some of those kids can consume those three things - seeds, peels and all.  It really is quite disgusting! 

And here's Campbelle, she was a dancing fool.  Literally was dancing for hours.  The band was giving away an iPod to the best dancer and she was trying desperately to win.   She had no clue what an iPod was, but really wanted one.  She wasn't the grand prize winner, but she did win a baseball cap for coming close!

IMG_9283 IMG_9277 IMG_9287

At one point I even saw her dancing - like holding hands dancing - with some high school boy (trust me, harmless) and then a group of high school girls were teaching her a line dance and later conga line.  Yikes!!  It really was cute to see her dance with such inhibition.... she just let the music move her and didn't care who was around her. 

Christian decided that the 3 (0 yard line) was the place for him to hang out.  Do you think he needs a haircut??

IMG_9268

Leif and Christian headed home after dinner, but Campbelle stayed with me until after the luminaria ceremony.  She had decorated bags for Grandma Karen this year and was anxious to walk the track at dark, looking for her glowing bags.  It was really very sweet and I regret not taking a picture, but one of Campbelle's bags was a picture of her as a ballerina - when she was finished decorating it, she handed it to me and said "This is for Grandma Karen, it's a picture of me, but I'm pretty sure she already knows I'm a ballerina."   "Yes," I responded, "I'm quite sure she knows all about it!"

The Relay was a huge success and a very fun filled and emotional experience.  I'm glad to take part every year and as the kids get older and start to ask more and more questions about Grandma Karen and cancer, I'm glad that we are able to participate as a family and instill a sense of action in each of them as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara Wicht said...

What a beautiful experience for your family and a great way for your mom to live on. Thanks for sharing with us here!
And your belly is absolutely adorable!!!

5:56 PM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

You have me in tears....I think of your mom all the time. What a wonderful thing that you guys do for your moms memory!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

That looks like an amazing relay experience. I'm glad it didn't rain on you!

I know that mom is so proud of you, your beautiful family and everything you do in her memory...

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Å Jill, jeg tenker på mammaen din rett som det er- og er lei meg for at vi fikk så kort tid til å bli kjent med hverandre.Måtte være et vakkert syn med lyslyktene. Tenker på dere.
Christian trenger en SKIKKELIG klipp, like før han kan ha fletter.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home