Monday, July 28, 2008

Strung out on Starbucks?!?!

I'm not really a green thumb, in fact, as much as I would like to be, I've never had huge success raising my own crop.  For years at our old house, I would plant 3 tomato plants and be happy if I got 10 tomatoes from each plant.    I considered that a fairly good job.

This year, we decided to build a little garden box and put in just a few of our favorite things:  Jalapeno peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce and a few herbs.   Never would have imagined it to look this just a few weeks:

IMG_0907

The tomato plants have overpowered just about everything else in this little garden.  They are nearly as tall as me and there are so many flowers and little tomatoes growing, that I'm quite sure I could feed a small 3rd world country. 

IMG_0913

My best guess as to why these tomatoes are thriving so exceptionally well.... Starbucks coffee.  I've enriched the garden with their 'give away grounds' a few times now....and I think they've gotten a bit stung out!!

Anyone have  really good salsa and spaghetti sauce canning recipes??

2 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Oh, I am soooo impressed!! That's quite a garden you've got there. You definitely have some canning in front of you. You'll have to squeeze that in between Kindergarten buses, drop-off & pick-up from preschool and baby feedings. Good luck!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Sara Wicht said...

You could totally steam and puree the tomatos, freeze into ice cubes and later thaw to feed the baby! What do you think? You have baby food for at least 6 months right there.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home