Thursday, April 08, 2010

Everyone loves a Fool

Could I get more clever with my titles?  I don’t think so.   I’m talking about the dessert called a Fool.  Rhubarb Fool.  I could go on and on about the geeky research I did on the naming behind the dessert – blame it on the Brits – and tell you all sorts of interesting facts I learned about the dessert Fool but I’m afraid you’d change your opinion of me.  So just trust me that it’s good, and in-deed called Fool.

And as you can see, Christian loved him some Fool.  (Typically not drunk, I think he was just trying to lick out what was left)

visit 038

Rhubarb Fool

2 1/4 lbs rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices

1/3 cup orange juice

1 cup sugar

2 cups heavy cream

1.  Bring OJ and 3/4 cup sugar to boil.  Add rhubarb and return to boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring only a few times so rhubarb doesn’t get too mushy.  Continue until tender – about 10 minutes.  Refrigerate until cold.

2. Beat cream with remaining sugar until stiff.

3. Gently fold cream in rhubarb mixture and serve in the fanciest of glasses.

 

I happen to have some strawberries that I needed to use, so I did half of each.  Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool - turned out great!  The sweetness balanced the tartness of the rhubarb nicely.  Another combination I’ll try when we pick fresh blueberries is Blueberry-Rhubarb Fool with fresh Ginger.  Yummmm  But get your rhubarb now and freeze some (especially if you don’t live in the Midwest) because it gets really hard to find in a few months from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home