Friday, December 14, 2007

I might be losing my mind.....

Maybe it's the holidays, maybe it's all the activity going on in my life these days, or maybe it's the early signs of Alzheimer... but I truly think I may be losing my mind.

Let me explain.  On Wednesday night, I meet up with a bunch of my friends for a book club  discussion.  During the course of conversation, I mentioned that I think I had been experiencing some really strange memory loss / memory dysfunctional type of things the past few weeks.  But when I tried to explain all the crazy things that I've been unwilling doing, I could hardly recall a single episode to reinforce this bizarre behavior statement. 

So I've now added that memory lapse to my growing list of why I think I might be losing my mind.  Here are the others (which I've spent the past few days trying to recall):

1.  We ran out of paint while painting our loft, so I had to run to Home Depot to pick up another gallon.  I found the paint swatch - ordered my paint and then waited.  After I picked up the paint, I thought "wow, this really does look a lot darker on the test print... and funny the name of the paint seems unfamiliar".... seriously I did not even consider I had the wrong paint.  I paid for the gallon, still thinking - "wow this looks a lot darker", got in the van and drove home.  Still thinking "funny how it looks so much different."  I get about half way home when I add up the glaringly obvious nuisances and realize that I have ordered and paid for a paint color totally different from the other 3 gallons that I just put on my walls.  Don't get me wrong, it was still in the brown color family (I'm not that crazy)... but really!!?

2.  I took Campbelle to ballet class the Monday before Thanksgiving.  It's a really small dance space, so usually I say goodbye outside the studio and then she goes into class and Christian and I go to the coffee shop for 1 hour.  So I walk her to the door - tell her to have a nice dance class and am about to turn to go up the street when she says "Mom, I don't think we have class today."  "Oh, why?"  I ask.  "The door is locked, no one is there and the lights are off," she calmly replies.  Oooppss.  (thank God I didn't make it to the coffee shop - it was a really cold night).

3.  After shopping at Linens- and Things I began exiting the store only to find that the automatic sliding doors didn't open.  Instinctually, I grab my remote keys for the van and hold them up towards the door, feverishly pushing the 'unlock' button.  To no avail... those damn Linens-and--Things doors didn't open (that is until I stepped back and stood in the path of the sensor - just like magic).

4.  Campbelle had Church Christmas concert rehearsal after the last service of church every week for about 8 weeks. The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I had to teach at the 9:00 service, I then attended church at 10:45 service, and then made arrangements for Leif to bring Campbelle in afterwards for practice.   (She didn't come with me right away because 9:00 is way to early for this family; and Christian wasn't feeling well so they all didn't come in for 10:45 church).  (I also should add, that since we moved - our church is about 30-40 minutes away from home).  So Leif packed the kids up, dropped Campbelle off and her and I waited for practice to start.  We waited and waited and waited and wondered why there were no other kids coming to practice.  Then I realized, that I was part of the committee that decided NOT to have practice on that Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Oh yeah!  Now I recall that email I sent!!

5.  Monday at 11:00 is Christian's swimming lessons - it has been for weeks.  Last Monday I show up for lessons - thinking, " wow, I don't remember being in such a rush to get out of the house and to the pool on time on other Mondays.  We must have really had a lazy morning today" and also thought "huh, there are hardly very many people in the pool at this time" , and I thought throughout the whole class - "wow, these kids seem to be very little... Christian's a tall kid, but wow he makes these other kids look like babies"  and I thought "Funny, the teacher is doing some really basic things with these kids this week"  and also "crazy, no one from our previous weeks is in class with us, there must be some bug going around making kids sick"  We actually finish our lessons, shower and get ready, get in the van and leave.  Sometimes we meet Leif for lunch since the pool is right by MS, but today it was only 11:00am - and I thought "funny, we must have really eaten lunch early those other times."  It wasn't until I got home and got the reminder on the computer of Christian's swimming lessons at 11:00-11:30.  Huh, guess that 10:00-10:30 class is for babies and not toddlers after all!!

So now you see my concern!  And all this has happened in a few short weeks.  I used to pride myself on being very organized and having it all really together; and now all that just seems to be slipping away.  Yikes!!

10 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Too funny! Funny for me as an observer, not so funny for you as a 30-something woman with dementia.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Velkommen i klubben!

2:42 AM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

That is called "Mommy Mind". Granted it hasn't happen to me yet but maybe that is because I only have one child. Maybe it is called "Mommy with Multiples Mind"?

5:34 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

...are you pregnant?

1:03 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Great question Tammy!!!!
So Jill, are you????

8:07 PM  
Blogger jilldaisbrenne said...

ha ha - you two are funny!!

8:53 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

You didn't answer the question...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

...we're still waiting...

8:17 PM  
Blogger jilldaisbrenne said...

You better watch it, or I will start spreading rumors about you on your blogs :)

8:43 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Hmmmm....I still don't think that actually qualifies as an answer. Are you trying to hide something from us?

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home