Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday… I’m in Love #8

We did a redecoration of Campbelle’s room this past week.  It involved  Fridayimin_covmoving her furniture around (remember how exciting that was when you were a kid to move furniture in your room… felt new and exciting) and also made our own art to display.  Total cost of the room makeover:  $2.19 (2 packages of tissue paper…. cost of a very happy and excited little girl= priceless!

IMG_1102

See Martha’s instructions for making your own pom pom flowers here:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/pom-poms-and-luminarias

***************************************************************

And this next item I’m about to post will have a few of you think I’m crazy – especially my sister Tammy.  But after attending a Town Hall meeting last night in Snoqualmie about living more Green – I’ve decided to start my own worm bin for composting purposes.  Yep.  Real. Live. Worms.  They eat your food garbage and junk mail and then poop out good, organic soil matter for my garden.  I’ve done quite a bit of thinking and some research into the matter and we are going to buy the bin this weekend.  (There’s a stay at home mom in West Seattle that has a new worm bin business that we are going to visit).  This is what I’m looking to buy……

wormfactory_001

We already compost what we can, but we have the city haul it away for us.  This way, with minimal effort (with the exception of the 1 pound of worms) we can use the organic compost ourselves.  Plus, I think the kids will really enjoy studying the process and watching it all happen.

Here are some links if you are interested in your own worm bin:

http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/

http://www.css.cornell.edu/compost/worms/basics.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, back to something a bit more lovely. 

Nikki McClure is a local artist from Olympia Wa and I’ve come to really love her work.  She works with cut paper (using simple X-acto knife) to create really bold, beautiful art.   Seasons are one of her main areas of inspiration – lovely as we enter into Spring (well, technical anyway).

  treasure_lg

girlandboy_lg

nm009_med

http://www.nikkimcclure.com/

http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Artist=Nikki+McClure

2 Comments:

Blogger Sus said...

I have Nikki McClure's 2009 calendar right here on the wall next to my desk - I love it - how ironic is that?!?! And, you are truly becoming a NW girl with an interest in worms!
Love your Friday faves!
-Susan

2:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously?? Worms??

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home