Monday, March 02, 2009

A lesson in Germs

Preface… I’m knocking on wood the entire time I’m typing this entry one handed.

We’ve had a relatively healthy winter so far in our house.  I think we’d had a few sniffles here and there – but nothing that the kids have even missed school.  I’d like to think it has something to do with how good the kids are washing their hands, and sanitizing regularly, coughing into their elbow, etc… but ha ha - I know better.  I wish my kids had half of the revolting sense towards germs and icky things that their cousin Will has – but unfortunately they don’t – don’t get it – don’t care.

In my quest to make it through this winter virtually unscathed – enter my lesson in germs.

Here’s how you do it.  Sprinkle tons of some type of spice onto their hands.  I was going to originally use turmeric – since I seem to have a lifetime supply of that spice that not even an Indian family of 5 would use up – but thought better of it because it may have caused their hands to be orange tinted for a spell.  So I went with ‘cinnamon germ’ instead.

Fun with kids 001

And then had them wash their hands with warm, soapy water while singing Happy Birthday until all the cinnamon (germs) was washed off.  They had to sing it about two times before all was washed away. 

The same amount of time it would take to scrub away real germs.  We may notice a slight increase in our water bill – but hopefully it will keep these guys away:

image0 image0-1 image0-2

The “Ear-raker” as Christian calls it – actually frightens the kids a bit – as they think that’s the actual thing that gets inside your ear and ‘rakes’ around in there.  Ouch!

2 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

To Christian,
I like those pajamas, I have the same ones. And WHAT is on your hands?!?!?!

Nolan

(note from mommy: Gotta love those Costco pjs!)

5:18 PM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Be very glad your kids have stayed away from the cruddy germs. Seneca was diagnosed with influenza A on Tuesday and has been home since. There are over 20 kids and 3+ teachers out at her school. I think home is the better place to be right now.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home