Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Travel Plans

I have to start out this post by saying this is the most action my blog has seen in several weeks as of late.  I’m sure it has something to do with me not having ANYTHING to do in preparation for out big vacation.  That, or I’m a major procrastinator and blogging seems like more fun than all the laundry, packing, organizing, cleaning that I should be doing instead. Rest well, all that will get done – I just don’t feel ‘stressed’ enough yet.  I work much better in panic-stricken mode.

So anyhow, seems like I have people ask me all the time how we manage to keep kids entertained on such a long trans-Atlantic flight.  To which I usually reply – “you’ve not sat in rows near the Brenne family on a trans-Atlantic flight now have you?”  HA HA  I’m not entirely sure we do it successfully – but we try.  And I have learned a few key things in the past few years.

Stock up on some new, interesting things and surprise them with it.  This time around Campbelle and Christian are much easier to entertain.  Campbelle has tons of new chapter books, Crossword puzzles 51dxnikX73L__SS500_for kids, stuff to make friendship bracelets, and a great Nellie Ryan book (have you seen these?  So so cool)

Christian has some Pokeman cards, Planet Earth coloring book, a sketch scribbler sheet (where you lift the thin sheet to erase.  He’s fierce at tic-tac-toe) and a great comic book sticker story board thing.

Beckett has a few small, noise-less (key there is noise-less) toys that will be new to him and couple new 'flap books’ – where you open a tiny door to see the picture behind.  I’m crossing my fingers and hoping this keeps him as entertained as they used to the other two at this age.

CRAFTS .  We load up on paper and crayons and stickers.  My kids never tire of that sort of thing.  We make sure that the crayons have a zipper pouch to store them in or they’ll be falling all over the plane.

MOVIES.  The great thing about flying SAS and to Europe is that each chair has their own personal TV screen and you can select what you want to watch.  This is one time that I won’t care if they watch 10 straight hours of tv…. even if its SpongeBob Square Pants. 

FOOD.  I have it – and have lots of it.  Especially in Beckett’s case.  Nothing can while away an hour like trying to get a one year old pointer finger into a tiny box of raisins to get one fished out.  And again, my rule on snacking goes out the window as long as it keeps them busy and quiet.

CLOTHES.  Changing into pjs just sets the mood for relaxation on a night flight – and helps to make sense that it is indeed night time.  And the same goes for changing back into regular clothes the hour or so before landing.  And, as I found out on my solo flight home with the kids from MSP, it’s a good idea to have extra change of clothes for the grown-ups too, just in case your baby gets a bit turbulence sick and vomits all over you.   Nice to freshen up after an episode like that.

 

This trip I found a great idea online for the older kids to keep them entertained.    I bought a zippered vinyl pouch and several letter stickers and other foam stickers.  The plan is to let them decorate their pouches how ever they want – spelling their names, or whatever. 

IMG_1971

I also am including some laminated maps of the world and Norway… so whenever they ask ‘Are we there yet?’  I’ll be able to point them to their map and say “No - sweetest honeybear, we’re flying here – right over Idaho.  Just a wee bit longer.”

IMG_1972

All of this stuff will be a surprise for them so it really should be fun.  I’m not too worried about Campbelle and Christian (knock on wood) – they are at a good age and really are generally well behaved kids.  My sweet Becks on the other hand…….  just keep us in your thoughts on Saturday – maybe even say a little prayer.  From door to door it will most likely be about a 20 hour day.  It’s long, and a bit crazy with little ones – but those greeting us in Gardermoen airport at the end of those 20 hours are so, soo worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I hope you guys have a great time. It sounds like you have some great entertainment for the plane. How long do you get to stay? Travel Safe!!!!!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home