Monday, October 22, 2007

My House the Ale House

Leif started a new hobby this weekend - home beer brewing. Its really quite scientific and my kitchen resembled a laboratory for a few hours on Saturday afternoon. There were beakers and flasks, thermometers and gauges and very high tech looking measuring devices. Who knew brewing beer could be so nerdy!

Leif's hopes are to serve his very first batch at our Thanksgiving gathering in November. We'll see.

IMG_0422

This is Cliff, a buddy of Leif's who was here for the brew-fest. His job was suppose to watch that the big pot didn't boil over. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at it.

IMG_0423

You never knew beer could be so chunky did you?

IMG_0428

After lots of ingredients - foul smelling ingredients - straining, draining and cooling - it now sits fermenting in my pantry. Leif is ever so concerned about the bubbles that it is creating and has even raised the temperature of our house in hopes of activating the yeast (I guess pleas from a chilly wife have never been enough to dissuade him, but the thought of bad beer will do it). It will remain here for a few more weeks.

IMG_0429

Here he is sampling a very first taste. I don't think it should really be sampled at this stage in the process, as the taste was positively horrible. But it has left me with the idea to make sure I have a backup drink on hand for our Thanksgiving party, just in case the taste stays the same.

I'll keep you posted.

6 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Ummmm, what is in that pot? Did Cliff throw up in there after it ran over?
Good luck Leif, I hope it turns out!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hoops, Kristi. It is hoops

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok that was supposed to say hopps.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, there should be a spell checker here...hops

10:32 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Thanks for the clarification(s) Leif.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Sara Wicht said...

Good luck with the "homebrew" Leif. My dad's been brewing for about 10 years now and it turns out GREAT! He's makes a raspberry beer that beats BerryWeiss. Let me know if you end up with any questions; I'll send you his email. He could be your beer tutor.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home