Thursday, January 24, 2008

Campbelle the Graduate!

Many of my readers know about our regional grocery store out here called Fred Meyers and their greatest little service called "Freddy's Playland."  You see its a place where kids, between the ages of 2 and 5, can go for one hour while their parents do their grocery shopping.  There are a couple really great things about this:  1) it's free  2) the store is huge, along the lines of a Super Target with all your shopping needs  3) it has a Starbucks inside  4) my kids love going there.  I don't always have 1 hours worth of shopping to do, but many times I have a need for a 1 hour break of all parenting obligations.  So when the need arises, we head to Freddy's. 

Last week I needed one of those breaks, and I was really in need of a grande vanilla latte to be drunk with peace and quite around me - so we went to Freddy's.  I was getting the kids signed in and they were bursting with excitement to get inside.  Nemo was playing on the TV and Christian loves Nemo, and there were 2 other little girls playing dolls in the house and guess who loves that??  As they were about to enter the children's door and I was about to escape for my cup of joe, the day care lady says "Oh, I'm sorry, I think your daughter is too tall."  What?!?  Too tall.  Too tall for what?  for the Doll house, or to color a picture or to sit and watch a movie?  What do you mean too tall?

I knew that there was a rule about being 5 and not being in kindergarten.  I knew that I had only a precious few months before the luxury that is Freddy's would no longer be available to me... but I was planning on milking to for a while yet.

But too tall?  What does that mean?  I explain to the lady that she really may look older than she is, but she is indeed only 4 and still in preschool.  She proceeds to show me clearly the rule written in the waiver form that 1. The child must be a preschooler, aged 5 and under, and 2. must be able to walk into the playland free and clear through the child entrance gate.  WHAT?!?  So she has to duck a little to walk in.  She's still just 4!!  I think that's discrimination of some kind, don't you?

Anyway, not wanting to make a huge stink to this little old day care lady, I say "No problem" (this rule sucks) "She's a good shopper anyway" (I'm writing a letter to the chairman of Fred Meyer)  "It was fun while it lasted" (I'm calling the ACLU when I get home).  However, Christian begins to throw a fit because he will not (and I know never will) enter that place without Campbelle ,and Campbelle begins to cry, apologizing to Christian for the fact that she's too tall to go in with him.  PLEASE!!  TOO TALL?!?!  So the day care lady says, "OK, how about one more time and then she'll have to graduate from Freddy's"  Both kids eyes light up as she opens the door for them.

"Don't hit your head on the way through Campbelle"  I laughingly joke.  But that was not returned with any type of smile or chuckle from anyone. 

I spent my last hour of easy, carefree shopping roaming the aisles of Fred Meyers - relishing what is sure to be the last of its kind for some days.

When I go to pick up the kids after my time is up, there is a certificate of graduation with Campbelle's name on it.  Just in case she wants to hang it in her bedroom.  She is sad leaving for the last time.  I am sad as well.  So long Freddy's.  It sure made grocery shopping more enjoyable.

image0

Side note:  I could spend a whole other post on the fact that I can't stand all those silly little 'Graduations.'  Like Kindergarten graduation or 8th grade graduation.  Please.... let's hold our children to a little higher standard of education than to reward them for such mediocrity!  And a Freddy's Playland Graduate!!  Good gracious!

Side side note:  I never did write a letter to Fred Meyers Corporation or to the ACLU.  I think this blog entry will suffice my need to vent.  Thanks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. Does that mean we can get stickers for the van
"My kid is a Freddy's Playland Graduate!"

:)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I agree with everything you have said! (And I hope you feel better after venting!) :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Where is Freddy's Playland in South Dakota? Dang, I need to move somewhere where there is babysitting FOR FREE at a business, Starbucks, etc. People in SD NEED SANITY TOO!!!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Congrats tall girl!!!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home