Friday, March 14, 2008

Guinness Irish Stew

There are a few dishes in my repertoire of recipes that  make my husband swoon.  Really, genuinely swoon.  This Irish Stew is one of them.  And I've discovered a little trick in my nearly 7 years of marriage - don't make those amazing dishes over and over again - save them for 'special occasions' that leave them longing with desire and affection for the next time.   For instance, Root Vegetable Stew - I make only once in October.  Oven Roasted Dungeness Crab - only once a crab season.  Carmel Apple Pie - only on his birthday.  And this Irish Stew, only come out on St Patrick's Day.  I feel if I over-use the recipes, the excitement and freshness of it wears off and I'm left trying to find new and better things to make (well, that and they are all complicated enough to only do once a year - but shhh... that's my secret!)

This stew isn't really complicated... just a bit annoying with all the chopping.  But trust me the results are really worth the work (even if it is only once a year).

2 pounds boneless leg of lamb

1/4 cup flour

2 tsp dried thyme leaves

3 tbl olive oil

1 medium shallot, peeled and chopped

1 medium onion, peeled and diced

2 ribs celery, diced

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 - 12oz bottle of Guinness beer

6 tbl Dijon mustard

1 can crushed tomatoes

8 cups beef broth

4 carrots, peeled and diced

2 lbs tiny red potatoes, quartered

1 bay leaf

1 tbl ground coriander seed

1 tbl red wine vinegar

1 tbl sherry vinegar

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

1.  Trim the lamb to remove any excess fat  and cut into 2 inch cubes. Toss with flour and thyme.

2.  In Dutch oven (or big soup pot) over md heat, brown the lamb in 2 tbl olive oil.  Working in two batches.  Set aside.  Using the same pan and oil, saute the shallot, onion, celery and garlic until soft - about 10 minutes.

3.  Stir in the Guinness beer; increase heat to high and stir to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan.  Continue until a full boil. Stir in the mustard, tomatoes, broth, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf, coriander and lamb pieces. 

4. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and allow the stew to simmer until the lamb is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.  Shortly before serving, stir in the red wine and sherry vinegars and parsley.

This makes about a gallon of stew - so invite the neighbors or really love leftovers.   And Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy, this sounds delicious, I can't wait to Monday :)

Thank you, thank you...

10:40 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Do you always make this with lamb or have you ever tried beef?
I am going to make Irish Stew on Monday as well but was planning on using beef since I have some in my freezer. Looking for your insight...

11:27 AM  
Blogger jilldaisbrenne said...

Yeah... I'm sure you could do it with beef. I've only done it with lamb, but not sure why you couldn't substitute.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering if you put the beer and wine in the stew or do you drink it as you are making it? Just a thought. :-)

2:29 PM  
Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

Sounds very "Yummy" and yes, I agree, there are somethings you just make "one occasion". Mine is Kneopfla Soup and trust me, Paul would LOVE for me to make it everyday but that wouldn't be any fun!!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God PĂ„ske !!!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home