Saturday, March 01, 2008

Baking Challenge!

Some of you may have read about my sisters failed attempt at the really good Blueberry Cake I posted a while ago.  In her post she flattered me with nice compliments on my cooking/baking abilities and I was at first really moved by it... but then as I read on and realize that her attempt at my recipe turned into a complete fiasco - I realized, I think she may be mocking me.  Or, to be more blunt - she's calling me a liar, because I claimed the recipe was so so easy.

So, with a little extra help.  I am challenging all of you to make the Blueberry Cake recipe and then comment and tell everyone, especially my sister Tammy - how easy it truly is to make!!

Here is your step by step guided help.

IMG_8879

Those aren't intimidating ingredients at all, are they?

4 egg whites
3 dl sugar
1 dl flour
3 dl heavy whipping cream
2 pints of frozen blueberries
Oh yeah, and a little chocolate syrup - for flair on the plate

(So get this, there is not even math involved in figuring these metric measurements out.  This baking isn't so precise.  3 dl sugar and cream - I used a little over a cup = 1 1/4 cups approximately.  1 dl = about 1/3 cup.  Again, it doesn't need to be all that precise.)

IMG_8880

First, separate your 4 egg whites.  If you don't have one of these scary, intimating utensils Tammy - just do it the old fashioned way.

 

IMG_8883

Now, whip your egg whites and sugar until fairly stiff.  (Stand alone mixed not required - but helpful especially when taking photos with your free hand.)

 

IMG_8887

Once you've whipped up meringue, gently fold in the flour.

 

IMG_8888

Next, line a baking sheet (did you read that correctly) - a BAKING SHEET with parchment paper (no Tammy, wax paper won't work).  My baking sheet measures 11 x 14. 

 

IMG_8890 IMG_8891

Now, carefully and evenly spread the meringue on the parchment paper. Be sure to create a nice, thin layer.

 

IMG_8892 Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Until slightly golden and beginning to crack.  While baking, whip up some cream.   IMG_8893

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_8895

Once done, let the cake cool for a just a few minutes and get another sheet of parchment paper ready to transfer it onto.

 

IMG_8897 Ok, I will admit that this becomes the most challenging part of the whole recipe.  You need to transfer, as carefully as possible, onto the new parchment paper.  I like to lay the other sheet on top and then flip it around and slowly peel of the paper off the cake.  The only problem with that, is then you have the cracked side on bottom and you don't want that.  The cracked side is the side you want to spread the whipped cream on top - so you must then flip it back around.

Did that make sense?!?  Here's a hint - don't spread your cream on this smooth side - spread it onto this original top, cracked side.  There may be a bit of flipping involved - but do what you have to get it the right way.

IMG_8898 IMG_8896

Then, spread on the whipped cream evenly.

IMG_8900

Sprinkle with blueberries

IMG_8906

And roll

IMG_8909 

Then wrap in foil and place it in the freezer for a few hours until thoroughly frozen.

IMG_8918

To serve, let thaw for about one hour prior to serving.  Fancy up your plate a bit with chocolate and sprinkle on some powdered sugar for added wow!

 

Now please, try this recipe and confirm to me that it is indeed as easy as I say it is.  And even if you don't, just lie to me and tell me that you did!  Come on Tammy - try it again.  I dare you!

4 Comments:

Blogger The Hertels (Paul, Tia and Seneca) said...

I won't be able to try this recipie as I have a few issues with is.....I NEVER, I repeat NEVER do anything that involves separating eggs. If I can't use the whole egg, I don't want to make it. Also, I don't own parchment paper, only wax paper and that has been in my cupboard probably about 10 years now, so I wouldn't want the parchment paper to sit around for 20 years. I also don't own a mixer (yes a hand mixer I do) but that only gets used maybe twice a year. It does look very yummy and I think I will just wait until someday, we come to visit you and then I will let you make it for me. Or maybe someday, I will be extremely bored and decide to take you up on your challenge, but in the mean time, I will let others try your challenge. Tammy, if you read this, I think that mine would probably turn out like your attempt!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sara Wicht said...

I am bugging out of this challenge on the premise that you can't buy blueberries in Brazil. And you can't make a Blueberry cake without blueberries, right? So, I am going to have to say--it looks SUPER easy! Why couldn't you do it Tammy?

3:02 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

I responded to this baking challenge with gusto!
Check out my blog to see the results.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Ok, Ok...give me time! I'll get around to it again eventually...

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home