Monday, February 23, 2009

I made Bread!! Wahoo

Seems ridiculous that a person could get so excited about simply making bread.  But I mean bread from scratch – and for me, that’s huge.  You see, I have a problem with any recipe that calls for yeast and requires anything to rise.  It never works for me.  Seriously – NEVER.  I tried very often when I first got married.  It seemed like such a good wife  thing to do – and plus his mother makes the best bread – and I frankly wanted to do the same.  But seems like I never got beyond the step “Put in warm place and let rise until doubled in size.”  I swear, I’d still be waiting on dough to double in size from 2001.   So after several attempts that left me with a dense, thick dough blob – I just gave up.  Until yesterday that is. 

Yesterday I was on a baking mission. And the gods of yeast were on my side and let me win for a change.

Behold!!

IMG_0872

Seriously good, multigrain bread that I will do again.  (Next time will split into two loaf pans) but I’m trying to just relish in this first success!!

And to top it all off…. I also made Fastelavenboller – Norwegian Lent or Fat Tuesday rolls (and forgive me for the Swedish link I just used – I couldn’t find anything in English and the Swedes make the same thing – basically).  They actually turned out pretty good too; but I must work on getting the dough to be shaped into nicer, rounded balls – but then again this could just be my take on a more artistic approach.

IMG_0871

Next up, croissants from scratch!  ha, right!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!!Looks very tasty. i think you have the recipi for BOLLER, I used it when I made LUSSEKATTER in December.

12:59 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Yum, it looks delicious!!! Do you ship your creations cross-country?

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home