Sunday, February 06, 2011

Book #2–Faithful Place by Tana French

511-pEVX-yL__SS400_

Synopsis: 

Back in 1985, Frank Mackey was nineteen, growing up poor in Dublin's inner city, and living crammed into a small flat with his family on Faithful Place. But he had his sights set on a lot more. He and Rosie Daly were all ready to run away to London together, get married, get good jobs, break away from factory work and poverty and their old lives.

But on the winter night when they were supposed to leave, Rosie didn't show. Frank took it for granted that she'd dumped him-probably because of his alcoholic father, nutcase mother, and generally dysfunctional family. He never went home again.

Neither did Rosie. Everyone thought she had gone to England on her own and was over there living a shiny new life. Then, twenty-two years later, Rosie's suitcase shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place, and Frank is going home whether he likes it or not.

Getting sucked in is a lot easier than getting out again. Frank finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind. The cops working the case want him out of the way, in case loyalty to his family and community makes him a liability. Faithful Place wants him out because he's a detective now, and the Place has never liked cops. Frank just wants to find out what happened to Rosie Daly-and he's willing to do whatever it takes, to himself or anyone else, to get the job done.

 

Overall I really liked this book.  It’s been some time since I’ve read a mystery and it was kinda nice to do (although I have to admit I thought I figured out the mystery about 3 chapters in, and turns out I was right ).  Even though I had a good idea ‘who did it’ I was still propelled to read on and I did it quickly.  The characters are rich and  I loved the dialogue and the Irish accent.  Funny how I can really sound Irish in my head when reading along.  :)

This is the author, Tana French’s third book, all surrounding the Dublin Murder Squad.  I was intrigued enough to check into her other books, but found out that Into the Woods is about children disappearing in the woods and murder …. and I just can’t read that kind of stuff since having my own kids.  Oh well.  I’ll move on.

 

Overall rating, 4 of 5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home