Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tilslørte bondepiker (otherwise known as Veiled Farmers Daughter dessert)

This might be the easiest dessert you've ever made. So fast and quick, and most likely you have all these things in your kitchen already. It's Norwegian, and the translation is Veiled Farmer's Daughter - don't ask me why. That's just what they call it (and by they I mean Norwegians).

It's so easy, I don't even have measurements.

All you need is:

  • Bread crumbs mixed with a bit of sugar and cinnamon (to your liking)
  • Applesauce (we prefer the chunky style from TJs, but anything will work)
  • Whipped cream (I hate CoolWhip, but if you must - I suppose that would work)

That's it.

Now toast your breadcrumb mixture until golden brown. Watch carefully as they go fast from 'almost done' to 'throw it in the garbage and start over' very quickly!! Now, get the fanciest glass bowl you have - a trifle bowl or individual glasses and begin to layer. I start with a bit of breadcrumbs and then applesauce, followed by whipped cream. Keep layering until your at the top of the bowl, or your ingredients are gone. I usually end with cream and crumbs.

Easy. And really very good.

Funny story. We had this the other night and it was met with shear delight on the kids part. They love this dessert. So much in fact, that today on the way home from school Christian asked me, "Could I have a Farmers Daughter today?" The quick witted person I am replied "Maybe you can someday if your lucky like your father was!!" haha

image0

4 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing you delicious farmers daughter you!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have almost forgot the "farmers daugther", I think we have it on sunday.It is Shrovetide( Fastelavn)
with lots of muffins/buns with whiped cream. (Fastelavensboller)

12:22 AM  
Blogger A Day In The Life.... said...

Now this sounds like something I could handle. Six ingredients or less tends to be my motto.

8:09 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

I made this last night. It was tasty, the kids snarfed it down!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home