Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Case of the Missing Toilet Paper

On Saturday, we were running dangerously low on toilet paper in the house.  With no plans for a trip to Costco in the coming days, I phoned Leif who had taken the kids swimming, and asked him to pick up a package of toilet paper along with something for dinner at the local grocery store.  He came home with a 36 roll package of toilet paper.  I saw it.  It was sitting on near the steps for someone to take upstairs and put in the laundry room.  That was 5 days ago. 

During the middle of the last night, I made one of my many frequent trips to the bathroom (this baby is squishing every bit of me) and low and behold - no more toilet paper.  None in the TP holder, none under the shelves that I could reach.  So the only thing I could do was call for Leif to bring me some more.  Leif, at 3:30in the morning, is not angry or crabby or short with me, he's actually kinda comical.  He walks around, still 80% sleeping I'm quite sure, looking for toilet paper.  He comes back empty handed.  Certain that it's because he is 80% still asleep - I do my business with tissue paper and go look for myself. 

The toilet paper is nowhere to be found.    Let me remind you, this isn't a small 4 roll package that could easily be misplaced, or put into the freezer by a pregnancy brained woman, it was the giant, could take the place of a chair, 36 roll package.  No where.

I went to bed - still troubled by having looked every where imaginable - but comforted by the thought that surely the kids are behind this disappearance and will be able to shed some light on the situation in the morning. 

8:30 am - we literally have 1/2 roll of toilet paper to share between the 3 bathrooms.  I ask the kids where it is, and neither of them have a clue.  I am inclined to believe them too.  They are usually pretty good about knowing where things are in this house.    I drill Campbelle so more.  "Are you sure you didn't use it when playing dolls.  Like maybe make the package into a bed or something."  (She is very into making sure all her dolls have a separate, cozy spot to sleep.  And she has allot of dolls.)  She replied, "No mom, I have no idea where the toilet paper is, but that's not a bad idea to use it to make a baby's bed.  It would make a really soft bed."  (Note to self, remember that for future missing toilet paper rolls). 

And now, at 11:00am , toilet paper still missing.  We are making an unexpected trip to Target today.  To get some more toilet paper.  This situation has become less comical to me, as I've searched every inch of this house and nothing, with the exception of some stray Lego pieces and Polly pocket shoes have turned up.  Can a 36 roll package of toilet paper really just disappear?  Would someone come into our house and steal only toilet paper?  Did Christian secretly unroll and flush it all away one quiet afternoon?   The mystery goes unsolved.  I wish I was ready to just let it go, but my mind simply can not.

Any ideas??

2 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

I would blame one of the boys in your house. Sometimes we go through TP so fast I think they eat it while they are sitting on the pot.
Did it get put somewhere in the garage? Or in with the kids crafts? Good luck to you and your hiney!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

....so did you find it??

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home